Part 4: 1900-1945
A former student, Max Boullé, architect drew up the plans for
the construction of a new building which was supposed to make the town
more beautiful and at the same time making for College efficient use of
the infrastructure for classes and rooms for the religious community.
The building would consist of a modern hall, common rooms and a magnificent
Until his death in 1965 Max Boullé remained a permanent and devoted
friend to the College. His two sons , both studied at secondary level
and both performed brilliantly and were attributed scholarships to study
in England. One of the sons became priest and therefore was the Chaplain
of the College from April 1959 to 1964
The College comes out from the earth
That 6th April 1929, the Canon Alfred Martin, proceeded to the benediction
of the foundations. Only the College community, the constructor and his
workers were present.
In May the Brothers left the old buildings and went to live at the Clarenc
residence, making way for the new construction. The new Chapel was blessed
by Bishop Leen, on 17 November 1933, at a ceremony attended by almost
all Priests of the Diocese and such a large crowd that there were more
outside than inside. It proved to be a real religious jewel with an imposing
inside rose window behind the altar.
Since 1926, the Brothers prayed for the reconstruction of the College.
They even promised to adopt as soon as possible a free schooling policy.
They kept their promises, so at the beginning of the 1929 school year
, the Brother Justinien took charge of Ste. Thérèse. Then
on 1 June 1936 , they opened Don Bosco school at Ste Hélène.
The exterior walls of the new college were in reinforced concrete so
strong a texture that many cold chisels have been blunted when water pipes
were installed later in some areas. They are up to 70 cm thick at basement
level. The doors, window frames, partitions, stairs and floors of the
classrooms are in teak, specially imported from Singapore.
The rhythm did not slow down. As the works progressed the old buildings
were all brought down.
The Science block, Physics and chemistry, was added as a separate building